Tuesday, February 21, 2012

We're okay!

Did you guys know there was a Broadway channel? Neither did I. I'm enjoying watching previews (which is all I can get On Demand for free), because it's giving me a fun little taste of what real professional productions look like. Also, I now know what it sounds like when Daniel Radcliff sings: it's okay, I mean, he mostly sings on pitch, but he should probably stick to straight plays. Holy crap, this is fun; ooo, now it's preview for Rent! Aghhhhhhhh, I wish I could see all of this in person. (Woah, that was definitely stream of consciousness...)
 I was never so self-deluded as to think I could make it on Broadway, or on any professional stage. I mean seriously, that's just astronomically difficult. I don't have the face, voice, or body, not to mention the talent or even the desire to go through all of that. But what I did want when I was younger was the opportunity to be a real theater critic. See and review plays? As a job? How cool would that be?!
Yeah, that didn't pan out. Figures.

So, I went to the doctor today for my two week post-surgery check up. My incisions looked pretty good, and I had nothing unusual to report, so that's great. My surgeon went over the laparoscopic photos with me, explaining where he found instances of the endometriosis. I found out that my sigmoid colon was pretty severely adhered to my uterine wall. Which explains SO MUCH. He couldn't remove all of it without putting my colon at risk. He also showed me my liver, which is also covered with spots (or "tea stains" as he called it) of endometriosis. The inability to remove that as well leads me on to his recommendation: six months of Lupron-Depot, along with another drug to ease its side effects (hot flashes, depression, etc.) I already knew about the Lupron, which I was extremely apprehensive about, but it's nice to know that they're going to try to control the side effects.
I inquired about my chances for fertility. He stated that although I have Stage Four endometriosis (the highest stage), once again, it's only because the endometriosis had spread to my colon, liver, and diaphragm, along with the size of that endometrioma (or "cyst" as the rest of us call it). He said that there was no instances of endometriosis behind my uterus, which is extremely unusual and a very good sign. My fallopian tubes are remarkably clear, which is amazing. Plus, despite the surgery, both of my ovary seemed to be healthy now, and should function normally.  In short, this surgeon has seen cases where the endometriosis is much more severe, and those people have gone on to have children.

Um, HALLELUJAH!!!!!!

That makes everything seem so worth it. Being horribly impatient, I hate having to wait the six months of being on Lupron before I can attempt to become pregnant. But I most certainly will wait, because I know that's best for everyone. Ah, I just feel so relieved.

Today is a good day.


Oh, I just thought of something. I heard a lot of feedback from people about my list of Do's and Don't's when facing friends and family suffering from infertility. It was all pretty good, but it made me realize that I forgot an important one:
  • Don't put on a pout and hug me whenever you see me, exclaiming, "Oh, I'm so, so sorry!" and then squeeze the damn life out of me. Every time you see me. First of all, once is enough, and I don't need the waterworks for you to prove your concern. Secondly, I'm not in a constant state of sorrow, and I don't like to be. I hate undue pity. I don't have effing terminal cancer, I'll make it through. Stop looking at my like I'm bleeding out through my jugular.
Oh, that one just drives me crazy. I will be fine, and now I know that everything is not as bad as it looks. Please, everyone, let's shower concern those who actually need it; I'm okay.

Whew, it's good to get that one off my chest. Hey, it's Fat Tuesday, guys! I'm not really into hedonistic celebration, but I have always wanted to go down to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. Mostly because I'm in love with New Orleans and I need an excuse to go there. Hey, wanna go to New Orleans with me? How about Ireland? France? I think my brother is going to Spain next semester, so who wants to go to Spain? With this infertility hiccup, it's given me a little bit of a travel bug. I should probably act on that (and it'll give me another delightful distraction!)

I just realized I forgot my trivia pledge. How about I pose a question for you? Comment if you can answer it:
Ok, here's a Broadway themed one, inspired from the show I just watched:
Which 1999 revival featured a season Broadway actor as a lead, who is better known from the television series The Dukes of Hazzard?
I'll give you the answer later. It's not terribly hard, though, if you're familiar with this topic.

1 comment:

  1. I know the trivia answer, but answering it and stealing the glory doesn't seem sporting, I have to admit!

    ReplyDelete