Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash (Ashley J. Williams) Wednesday

As I explained in a previous blog (did I ever mention how I find the word "blog" bizarre? Oh, well, that's another tangent), Jacob and I bonded over the Evil Dead series. Today, being Ash Wednesday (which I typically miss, because I'm too embarrassed to ask when the services are, as I should already know. I also usually forget until it's too late.), I've decided to pay homage to my favorite horror/action hero: Ashley J. Williams. Or, as we all know him, "Ash."
"Gimme some sugar, baby."
As many of my friends know, I have an unhealthy love of Bruce Campbell (the actor). He's the only reason I ever sit through a real show with a real plot like Burn Notice, and I don't even do that very often. But I've been know to make t-shirts, force others into watching the series, and, let's not forget that all-important poster. Underneath the copious gore and campy humor, to me, Ash symbolizes true love. And twenty cans of kick-ass.

I can't even describe the thrill of watching Army of Darkness with all of my like-minded friends. It's an overwhelming sense of nostalgia and compatibility. Oh, dear Kansas friends, I miss you. I wish we could all celebrate Ash Wednesday together again someday.

Moving on. Jacob and I are considering doing something a little unusual: open a home daycare. I've been trying to find a job for the last few months. And no, not just a job, but something that feels more like a real career, something that suits me, something that pays reasonably. It would be extremely difficult if the economy were in good shape; right now, it's pretty much impossible. So, we continue to re-evaluate my skills. Um....artsy. Ok, that won't work. Creative? Keep looking. Patient; ok, getting warmer. Good with kids? Ok, on a roll. Owns a home? BINGO. Home daycare. We keep coming back to this. Our house is pretty well suited for kids on the main level (we have an open floor plan, with a little sun room that can be closed off during nap time). Jacob also discovered today that I'm already qualified to open a daycare, I just need to jump through all of the hoops. There are a lot of hoops. But I think we can do it.
I just need to hide all the liquor.
And the breakable objects.
And clean and rearrange.

This is probably the best idea we've had in a while. And no, I don't think we're crazy. Maybe it'll help sprinkle us with proverbial "baby dust" (by the way, I think I've mentioned this, but I hate those terms. I hate diminishing the truth with stupid euphemisms.) Anyway, that's all---Jacob's home and it's time for bed. I get to watch the girls for the first time in two weeks tomorrow (only from noon to five, but that's a start), and I need to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Katie, I think you would be an awesome care taker of my kids!!! Being a brain person, I know my kids would get much needed right hemisphere work daily, making them more balanced and capable in this heavily left brained society. I think you should market this using your strengths... Katie's Fine Arts Preschool, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete