Friday, August 1, 2014

Rant rant rant ra-ant rant!

I don't particularly care how other people view the use of social networks; they're  my only connection to many important people in my life. I don't need to apologize for that. 

But, as I will now rant, I am frequently horrified at how foolish and tactless people can be using the mask of the Internet. 
I know; I'm a little hyper-sensitive over the whole baby thing...I may or may not be wearing my "Shut Up About Babies" shirt. I'm not usually bitter over the reproductive fortune of others. In fact, that's pretty rare. I do love babies, and when people I love have babies, I'm generally thrilled, despite the inevitable baggage. 
HOWEVER: I am irritated at how many people (not just woman) seem to flaunt parenthood in an almost condescending way. "You'll never understand happiness until you have babies,"  or the inevitable cheesy list "Top 10 reasons why being pregnant is so much better than anything on earth." 
Uggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I get it; you're happy. You want everyone to see your happiness. I understand that. But, given how many couples struggle with fertility or suffer devastating miscarriages or failed adoption attempts or what have you, it's probable that somebody in your circle is seeing that and feels incredibly discouraged. 
Granted, everyone seems overly-sensitive these days, but this is so easily avoided with a little tact. Speaking in absolutes tends to shut others down (and we all know only the Sith deal in absolutes.) Yes, of course, I'm super excited to see pictures of your darling children and your happiness; that's not in question at all. But with so many friends with so many gorgeous babies, it can get a bit taxing for some of us. 
Obviously this probably doesn't start and stop with reproductive and family planning issues. I've seen some ridiculous stuff in the last week. People seem to think putting an ill-informed opinion on the internet won't cause any reprecussions. I don't mind differing opinions; you all know me and know my affiliations (obviously not the Sith), and it's silly to think everyone will express the same views. I just wish everyone would express them respectfully and intelligently. Also...using appropriate grammar and spelling would be wonderful. 
 


I'm trying not to be such a grouch. It seems like everyone is such a grouch all the time about lady parts and baby-makin'.  Rants are just fun sometimes. 

I'll do what I can to make my next entry something include more "pizzazz."
Not Pazuzu. This is a Captain Howdy-free zone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment