Friday, August 9, 2013

Skeever Tail

I haven't exactly been feeling myself lately.

And by lately, I mean the last two months since we've moved across three states.

And by myself, I mean I'm lonely. And hormonal. And slipping back to my all-too-familiar cycle of depression.

And I just don't want to talk about babies right now. For many reasons. The one I'm willing to share is this: I'm starting to get a little worn-down from this process. Being able to focus on other things has allowed my head to clear a little bit. Truthfully, I'm actually feeling relieved about letting this go for an indefinite period of time. I've noticed that for the first time in years, I'm not actually interested in having babies right now, and the pressure I've previously been under hasn't had the same impact. I'll just commit to living my life as it is, then re-approach that issue in the future.

Then again, I wouldn't mind having a mess of little boys running around at some point. So we can have Adventure Time :)

So...we moved. It's hard to move. I don't like change. I don't like being alone all the time. I know I've been extremely vocal about not wanting to leave, and I'm okay with that. I'm proud of my husband and his accomplishments, and I have promised to follow him until I die. That's understood. But I don't have to be happy about moving; that would be unhealthy. I had the most wonderful house, the most wonderful theatre, and the most wonderful friends a girl could ever want. So it was a bit jarring when we left all of this behind. I've been dealing with it as best I can, but there's been a lot of emotional turmoil on my part. I've been pretty lonely, especially since Jacob's been having to commit a lot of time to his new position. Plus, when we moved in, this house TOTALLY SUCKED. I have no other phrase with which to describe it. I mean, the location has been phenomenal, and it's got a lot of potential, but it's taken a lot of work, mostly on my part. I mean, CRIKEY, all the walls were white. PLUS, there were some mysterious poo stains in one of the bathrooms. So uncouth.

I'm mostly lonely, but fortunately, I have the Fay family only an hour away! We've been able to have the whole crew or just Kendra and the kids around a couple times, and it's really wonderful to have "family" around. It's great to have Kendra to talk to, plus I can satiate my baby-longing in terms of some small kids :) I love being "Aunt Katie."
Which reminds me: I want to have a crazy, eclectic house so that when my nieces and nephews visit, they'll think I'm magical. This has been a life-long goal.

But, the thing is, when you move, it cements relationships and makes the times when I see them all the more precious to me. We moved two months ago, and I've already made the trip from Chicagoland to Minnesota three times, twice without Jacob! He tolerates that well, and I hate to leave him missing me for days, but I need social interaction. I really only talk to the dog when I'm here. I've missed my almost daily coffee dates with David (who ended up moving to the cities shortly after I moved; I'm extraordinarily proud and happy about that, but this blog is about me and not David). I miss putting birds on things and singing karaoke with Kristine. I miss Adam and Rachel and not being able to watch little Augustine grow up. And now that Lindsey and Sean are so far away, I have no one to watch Adventure Time or play Cards Against Humanity with. That is, until I come visit. Visiting my friends has been incredible, and I'm once again reminded that our purpose in this world is to love and be loved by others.

Oh, and I play Skyrim now. I'm terrible at video games, but I've always wanted to be a wood elf named Bonerhead.
We went to a jazz-blues festival. Or was it a blues-jazz festival?

June, Ruben, and Aunt Katie. So wonderful!

We appropriately wore nerdy t-shirts and went to the Field Museum. It was awesome.

New appliances are the coolest.

I have a lovely bedroom. ALL MY DOING.

I used to see this on my running route. Now it's being renovated. WHY RUN ANYMORE?

These are other things we've done to our home. Including a hole in the wall.

I got to visit David in the cities. He was the best wedding date/host/pizza box artist ever.

1 comment: